12.09.2007, 01:58
http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headline...index.html
Franchitti hasn't decided on switch to NASCAR (September 11, 2007)
Dario Franchitti is focused on celebrating his IRL championship right now.
Dario Franchitti still won't say whether his next lap at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway will be in a stock car.
A day earlier, a source close to the negotiations told The Associated Press that Franchitti will sign with Chip Ganassi Racing to drive the No. 40 Dodge. David Stremme, the current driver of the No. 40, has already been told he will not have the ride next year.
The source spoke on condition of anonymity because details of the agreement had not been finalized.
Franchitti, who was at the Speedway for a presentation ceremony of the Indy 500 and series championship trophies, would not confirm the switch but said he was interested in NASCAR because of the challenge.
"NASCAR would be something different ... something I haven't done. Apart from Formula One, it's probably one of the few things I haven't driven. So that would be one of the reasons to look at that," the 34-year-old Scotsman said.
Franchitti works on one-year contracts, so he would become a free agent on Dec. 1. Speculation on his future with Andretti Green began in May after he won the Indianapolis 500.
Former Indy winner and three-time series champion Sam Hornish Jr. also appears ready to make the jump to NASCAR next season. Hornish already has driven eight races in the developmental Busch Series since last year and plans to try to qualify a Penske Dodge for his Nextel Cup debut at New Hampshire on Sunday.
According to the source, Ganassi plans to enter Franchitti in a series of ARCA and Busch Series races to get him up accustomed to driving a stock car, the same way former Indy and F1 driver Juan Montoya did last fall.
The departure of the Indy stars won't affect the IRL, league spokesman John Griffin said.
"It's premature to comment on that directly right now," he said of the defections by Hornish and Franchitti. "But from our standpoint, we feel we're in as good a position as we've ever been in the league's history in terms of drivers who have been around, established names."
Franchitti hasn't decided on switch to NASCAR (September 11, 2007)
Dario Franchitti is focused on celebrating his IRL championship right now.
Dario Franchitti still won't say whether his next lap at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway will be in a stock car.
A day earlier, a source close to the negotiations told The Associated Press that Franchitti will sign with Chip Ganassi Racing to drive the No. 40 Dodge. David Stremme, the current driver of the No. 40, has already been told he will not have the ride next year.
The source spoke on condition of anonymity because details of the agreement had not been finalized.
Franchitti, who was at the Speedway for a presentation ceremony of the Indy 500 and series championship trophies, would not confirm the switch but said he was interested in NASCAR because of the challenge.
"NASCAR would be something different ... something I haven't done. Apart from Formula One, it's probably one of the few things I haven't driven. So that would be one of the reasons to look at that," the 34-year-old Scotsman said.
Franchitti works on one-year contracts, so he would become a free agent on Dec. 1. Speculation on his future with Andretti Green began in May after he won the Indianapolis 500.
Former Indy winner and three-time series champion Sam Hornish Jr. also appears ready to make the jump to NASCAR next season. Hornish already has driven eight races in the developmental Busch Series since last year and plans to try to qualify a Penske Dodge for his Nextel Cup debut at New Hampshire on Sunday.
According to the source, Ganassi plans to enter Franchitti in a series of ARCA and Busch Series races to get him up accustomed to driving a stock car, the same way former Indy and F1 driver Juan Montoya did last fall.
The departure of the Indy stars won't affect the IRL, league spokesman John Griffin said.
"It's premature to comment on that directly right now," he said of the defections by Hornish and Franchitti. "But from our standpoint, we feel we're in as good a position as we've ever been in the league's history in terms of drivers who have been around, established names."
[SIZE="1"]НеофитЪ: Вода+Водка = ЗнатокЪ: Н2О+С2Н5(ОН)
The old adage claims "it's not where you Start but where you Finish"
Нынешняя «Формула-1» – худшая за последние годы, возможно, даже за всю ее историю. © FA
Если нужно настоящее шоу, нет ничего лучше NASCAR. Это поистине фантастическое зрелище
© Мартин Уитмарш 2009 Гран При Европы : Пресс-конференция в пятницу[/SIZE]
http://popravkam.net/
The old adage claims "it's not where you Start but where you Finish"
Нынешняя «Формула-1» – худшая за последние годы, возможно, даже за всю ее историю. © FA
Если нужно настоящее шоу, нет ничего лучше NASCAR. Это поистине фантастическое зрелище
© Мартин Уитмарш 2009 Гран При Европы : Пресс-конференция в пятницу[/SIZE]
http://popravkam.net/

